|How Do I Properly Use a Female Condom?
- Do not use damaged, discolored, brittle, or sticky condoms.
- Check the expiration date.
- Carefully open the condom package—teeth or fingernails can tear the condom.
- Use a new condom for each act of sexual intercourse.
- First, inspect the condom and make certain it is completely lubricated on the outside and the inside.
- The female condom is inserted into the vagina with fingers, much like a tampon that has no applicator. To do so:
- Hold the condom at the closed end and squeeze the flexible inner ring with thumb and middle finger so it becomes
long and narrow. With the other hand, separate the outer lips of the vagina.
- Gently insert the inner ring end as far into the vagina as possible, using the index finger to push up the inner ring
until the finger reaches the cervix (similar to how a diaphragm would be inserted).
- Before having intercourse, make certain the condom is in place. When in place, it will cover the opening of the
cervix and line the vaginal walls. A general indicator of correct insertion is that the individual will no longer feel the
ring. The open end of the condom must always remain outside the vaginal opening. Before having intercourse,
make certain that the condom is straight and not twisted.
- Add water-based lubricant onto the penis and/or the inside of the female condom to increase comfort and
decrease noise. It is important to use enough lubricant so that the condom stays in place during sex. If the condom
is pulled out or pushed in, that is an indicator that there is not enough lubricant.
- Be sure that the penis is not entering the vaginal canal outside of the condom before intercourse.
- To remove the condom, twist the outer ring and gently pull the condom out to avoid any spillage.
- Carefully dispose of the condom. Do not reuse it.
- Do not use a male condom along with a female condom. If the two condoms rub together, the friction between them
can cause the male condom to be pulled off or the female condom to be pushed in.
|<< Back to Condom Sense Main Page